Thursday, August 16, 2007

not in Houston, yet

No, I'm not in Houston this week. I will be in Houston next week. I've had some trouble lining out my schedule recently. It's not that work is consuming more time than usual or that I've been out at night a lot recently. It's just that I've been unable to reload since Denver. Or perhaps the couple days after I got back from Denver when we ground out those three jobs in a row. My energy level has been less than stellar since then. Oh, I'm getting things done, but sort of the bare minimum necessary to not look like a disheveled wreck.

I certainly expect to feel much better when I get back from Houston. I'll finally be done with the pomp and circumstance or the project I've worked on and can get back to the real work of furthering what we've done so far. Not that my week in Houston will be especially taxing though. I travel on Monday and should be at my hotel by 1600. I present on Tuesday along with everyone else there for the same basic reason and then meet with some managers in the afternoon. I have just learned that Wednesday is a totally free day. I'm not sure what I'm doing during the day. I was told that the Rice new grad student orientation activities would probably not be that exciting to me. I'll come up with something that someone without a car can do in Houston during the day. I expect to meet up with someone I know from work for dinner that night. Thursday is a tour day where they're taking us to some of the company manufacturing and research centers. And Friday, I grab a ridiculously early flight back to Farmington.

I don't have much to prep for this trip except to do laundry and pack nice clothes. I've made my presentation in one form or another at least eight times. While this isn't a formal evaluation, it's always an evaluation whenever managers are present, especially training and/or personnel managers. I have also perfected the art of running out of perishable food the day before I leave for a trip. This is a largely untapped potential. I'm sure of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be so out of it when you have "Hoston" on the top of this Blog! Thinking you might get stuck in the middle of the hurricane and the flood there this week.

Anonymous said...

While you are in Houston making presentation, don’t forget to make eye contacts with those honchos at the same time!