Saturday, August 22, 2009

VIX = Victoria, TX and other TLAs

Three letter acronyms (TLAs) abound at work. And at airports. At work, I often refer to places by their location codes. Hence, my first district becomes FNM (Farmington, NM) and last location VIX (Victoria, TX). Curiously enough, the airport code for Farmington is slightly different (FMN) as a result of the different way that the airport code and the work location code are generated. (For Victoria, the airport was VCT.)

Now, I'm in SGD (Szeged), which is in the CEU (Continental Europe) area, which is in the EAF (Europe/Africa - sort of) uber-area. Before, in the States, I was in USL (US Land), and the sub region of USW (US West) when in New Mexico, which sounds suspiciously like an airline or possibly a phone company from 20 years ago.

The TLAs aren't limited to just geography. Business divisions, segments, service lines, etc are almost all referred to by some TLA. You might be able to guess what some of them are, especially the ones with three letters in their full names.

As for airports, I almost always write airport codes when writing myself notes about my travel scheduel or for any other reason I might want to refer to an airport, or even a city. Can you name the cities that these airport codes belong to without looking them up?

SJC, OAK, DEN, ABQ, PHX, SAN, SAT, DFW, AUS, IAH, ORD, LHR, ZRH, FRA, BUD, MUC, BRE, HAJ, JFK, MSY, AMS, MSP
Hint: I have been to all these airports in the last 2.5 years. I suppose that hint is only useful if you know where I have been in the last 2.5 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

airport codes