Tuesday, July 26, 2011

six weeks in - trees

There are trees planted all over the city. This is a desert, but it's not as arid as New Mexico. It seems like the relative proximity to the Caspian Sea helps keep the air from getting too dry. While low on rain, this city is able to sustain the many trees planted here.

I asked around about the trees. It seems that the most popular tree in town was mostly planted starting back in the 1950s when research was done into what type of tree could successfully grow in this climate and type of soil. I cannot identify the trees in question and have been meaning to get some photos of them. I want to see the leafsnap app make its way to the Android platform so I can do some sleuthing around town. Of course, I can't geo-locate anything since that won't work here, but I can always take pictures and then compare once I get back home. (3G is not exactly a real thing here.) The trees also produce a green fruit, about the size of a fist, but I have been told it is not edible. I have decided not to challenge that assertion.

Oddly enough, there are also pine trees planted here. There are many planted in the camp area of the base, and I have seen some around town. There is no way there are native to this area. Well, evidently none of the trees are native to the area, but the pines stand out quite obviously. The same person who told me the first tree started to be planted int he 50's also told me they are now planting a larger variety of trees to see what else can take to the soil here.

This being a desert, where does all the water in the town come from? I keep asking people and no one seems to know. I find that odd. And it bothers me enough that I will keep asking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This trees article was written this past Feb.from the Information site of Turkmenistan.

There are Peace Corps volunteers in Balkanabat too. Have you met any of them?