Sunday, April 23, 2006

conversation

Yes, I called children aggravating and I was only partly kidding. I have nothing specific against them. In fact, I know I will love my own, but I just can't muster up the same sentiment for most other children, real or hypothetical or theoretical.

Wait, I know why I have trouble with children. They can't carry on adult level conversations. Unfortunately, neither can many adults, at least by the standards I use. Before anyone complains that it's unfair to expect children to have superb conversational skills, understand subtle sarcasm, and pick up on nuanced facial expressions representing disinterest, I know it is. But I didn't say it was fair. Basically, children lack the life experience needed to pick up on behavioral and social cues that get sent during a conversation. Plus, they generally don't do something that I'll admit to not caring much for, which is actually listening to what the other person is saying. Children are understandably self-centered since they usually don't have to deal with other peoples' problems. I'm understandably self-centered because I'm too important to have to bother with other peoples' problems. Sarcasm much?

In the end, I like children just fine. But I think parents should realize that most people don't want to talk to other peoples' kids or hear about how great they are or have them shoved down us kidless folks' throats. That's all really.

This is all making me think about adults who cannot carry on adult conversations. They should have the experience to understand how conversations ebb and flow and whether others want to even continue the conversation instead of mercilessly dragging it on making it impossible to extricate oneself. But hey, I can pretend to not be slowly dying on the inside while talking to you. I love sarcasm. I'm not sure how I would get through my days without it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was take your children to work day today... and I wanted to cry...kids bouncing giant balloons around the office was not good for my productivity.
Ming

Anonymous said...

I know many children can carry on presidential level conversations. Whenever and wherever politicians go for their campaigns, they love to hug children! They just love to talk to other people's kids. At the same time, there are lots of people who do not even like to talk to their own kids or grandkids let alone other people's kids.

Anonymous said...

Be a good listener takes great skill. Most of the converstions carried on by the politicians are BS anyway.