Monday, October 29, 2007

resource quagmires

If you care for a piece of the Iraq-is-all-about-the-oil flavor, give this a read, but you need to read the whole thing. I certainly don't feel like I work in a dastardly sinister industry. However, I also don't work for an oil company, but a mere service company for the industry.

Despite the interest in oil and gas and energy in general, I'm just as concerned with a resource that is far more important. The West will eventually face a water supply crisis and it will be a difficult reckoning for most people. Perhaps the most telling line in the whole piece is, "The people who move to the West today need to realize they’re moving into a desert. If they want to live in a desert, they have to adapt to a desert lifestyle." I think it speaks volumes about our love affair with consumption of all kinds.

No comments: