Monday, December 24, 2007

new laptop?

I think I'm in the market for a new laptop soon. Any recommendations? As a starting point, I'd like it to be able to do everything my current laptop does, but faster and sexier if at all possible.

To be perfectly honest, I don't need it to move the world. I'm not quite into using it as a multimedia powerhouse. Sure, I watch DVDs and edit some photos, but I don't do any video editing yet nor do I see it in the near future. Mostly, I read and watch whatever strike smy fancy online and do some of this piddly writing whenever I find time. I will travel with it so battery life and ease of portability are potential sticking points.

5 comments:

Jack Chou said...

I'm a full-on Mac convert, so I am legally bound to suggest a MacBook.

Anonymous said...

I have no specific brand/model advice, but I do have a couple of suggestions. First, buy the smallest, most light-weight machine where you can readily use the keyboard. Of course, this means compromises. Second, buy the brightest, sharpest screen you can find. Everything else is in third place. I would guess that Victoria is not the hotbed of laptop alternatives, yet my suggestions only work if you do hands-on research. Then you can buy wherever you like. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I am sure you have already noticed that there is a diminishing performance return for your laptop computer dollar. In other words, you can get a capable laptop for quite cheap (see Mom's link), but to get a much more capable laptop costs bigger and bigger bucks.

It's all enough to encourage you to keep using your old one.

Brian said...

I knew it Jack. Those carpet cleaners from that one Seinfeld episode lured you into their cult. I hope you can shill for Mac without turning into the guy from those commercials.

fireandfury said...

interesting,

i bought one from best buy recently for ~$600 after tax

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HP_Pavillion_dv6000_(dv6604nr)

so far i have to say i'm very satisfied with my investment