Thursday, January 06, 2011

lightning and darkness

I was driving home from work yesterday and was slowing down at the first traffic light along my route when there was a flash of lightning that lit up the sky and gave a brief, ghostly light to everything on the streets. Earlier flashes had timed in at around 1.5 to 2 miles away and this seemed to be in a similar place. For a brief moment, I could see everything in my field of vision and then it was dark again. And then I realized it was too dark. The power had gone out. To everything. It was pitch black except for the headlights of other vehicles. It was actually a bit of a dicey ride since I'm still not used to the route home to the new apartment and had to cautiously approach my turn. Plus, all the traffic lights were dead so that didn't help the situation. The power came back shortly after I made it home. Then went out again a few minutes later. This cycle would repeat about three more times before I said screw it and gave up on cooking and just went to bed.

No comments: