Thursday, March 17, 2011

on staying in touch

I'm pretty bad about staying in touch with people. This makes me somewhat curious about whether I do the whole family and friendship thing right. I'm out here, in the wind so-to-speak, and a long way from everyone else. I have all the modern tools for staying in touch, but vastly under-utilize them because for me, the rest of the world is very much 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part, I feel like when I'm back "home" that I can pick up right where I left off and everything feels comfortable. If someone asked me for a favor, within a pretty broad range of reasonableness, I would probably not hesitate to help if I had the ability. But there's a long in-between time when I am not around and when I am not around, all that pauses in my head and when I come back, it's like I have not changed much. However, I am fully aware everyone is busy living their lives and getting engaged/married or doing whatever it is people with more traditional lifestyles do with their time. It's actually been quite surprising, though I should know better, to see so many friends (presumably) enter into the last romantic relationship of their lives.

Like my last post, this isn't going anywhere in particular. It's just an observation about myself and how I interact (or don't) with people. Just remember that I do remember you even if it doesn't seem like it. And I would go a long way for friends and family if in need.

No comments: