Sunday, February 14, 2010

starting to push the number down

I'm slowly pushing the number of e-mails in my personal account down. It's like tamping the earth. (There's a word I don't get to say often: tamping). The good news: the number of unread is under 100 and the total number is back under 300. In fact, it's closer to 200. The bad news: while I am working my way backwards through time, I have only made it to November. Also, the next 100 only get me back to the beginning of last year, which means I have 100+ items in my inbox that are 1+ year old.

The result is that many of you may have gotten an e-mail from me in the past 6 hours. Splendid. The downside is that my replies will become increasingly short as I go further back in time or I may not provide one at all if it just seems like the moment, topical relevance, and/or general insight is lost. Timing is so critical to correspondence and I am admittedly terrible at it. It's nothing personal, it's just that I have probably determined that failing to write back to you will not cost people their jobs or potentially millions (or at least several hundred thousands) of dollars. Business beckons. All the time.

No comments: