Sunday, October 23, 2005

Oktoberfest

Last night, some of my classmates and I went to the 2005 Tulsa Oktoberfest. In short, it was an American carnival meets beer. I found it to be a unique cultural experience, which makes me wonder what my colleagues, one each from Vietnam, Mexico, and India as well as a fellow American, made of it all. It had all the trappings of a carnival with the rides, games, music, and greasy, over-priced food. Combined with the beer (which was also over-priced) and music people seemed to be having a good time, which is why people go to events like this. After trying two different German beers (don't ask what type because I don't know) I am forced to conclude that I still don't like beer. It's just too bitter and never goes down quite right. At this point, suggestions of drafts to try is pretty much going to fall on deaf ears. My lack of interest in beer (and nearly all alcohol for that matter) is hardly a bad thing in my eyes. I have better things to spend my time and money on. Like novelty hats. I took some photos while there, but they're not really worth posting. It's hard to capture an event like that in mere photos, especially when I didn't take many because I was busy enjoying myself.

Now, I did take several photos before we got there. We had heard that there would be shuttles from a parking lot not terribly far from our hotel over to the park where the Oktoberfest was. Our walk there took us by the edge of the Oral Roberts University campus as well as some office buildings. That walk was ripe with photo opportunities, especially the office buildings that reflected the setting sun quite nicely. Photos will be forthcoming in 6-8 weeks.

No comments: