Sunday, March 05, 2006

new york new york

Since I'm currently re-reading The Fountainhead I can't help but wonder what Howard Roark would think of the New York New York hotel in Las Vegas. Actually, it's fairly apparent that he wouldn't care for it. The hotel has a mishmash of styles going on, but it seems to be going for the 1920's more than any other era. Plus, the interior plan appears to have been subjugated for the sake of the exterior look. I had wondered since I first saw the hotel a couple years ago what kind of sacrifices were made to get that skyline look. There are four different banks of elevators leading to different parts of the hotel towers. Plus, to get to my room, which I concede was at the end of the hallway, it took nine turns along the hallway. Nice hotel, but no architectural masterpiece.

In other news, I'm up to three credit offers so far this month. I'm going to track this for the rest of the month to see how many I get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you some kind of nuts or what? I couldn't believe you counted how many turns you had to take to get to your room. Did you count how many ways to get out in case of fire?

Brian said...

Yes, I am some kind of nut. Possibly a macadamia. Or maybe a pistachio.

I counted because it was a conspicuously large number of turns. And I also noted my two nearest fire escapes, one of which was right by my room since I was at the end of the hall. Schlumberger has taught me to make checking the fire escapes one of the first things I do when I get to my hotel room.

Anonymous said...

Hee-hee, I thought you are a grapenut. Weren't you taught long time ago to make checking the fire escapes one of the first thing wherever you go, especially the not so familiar places, such as theatres, concert halls or crowded night clubs and restaurants, etc.? Staying in the high-rise hotels with beautiful view such as ocean or garden view is nice, but will the cherry-picker be able to get you out in case of fire?