Monday, December 18, 2006

but my car still works

It is only with grudging acceptance that I recognize the fact that I will one day be forced to get a new (or at least new to me) car. As advanced as my car was when it was new, the last 20 years have seen inevitable improvements in automotive technology. By 1986 standards, it was a very sophisticated automobile. By today's standards, it's not exactly winning over hearts and minds. The myriad little creature comforts that no longer work don't really help either. Really now, I don't have a problem with no AC, but apparently other people do. And so what if the passenger window doesn't roll down. I don't sit on that side of the car.

The great reluctance I have with one day abandoning my car is that it's the only car I've spent a great deal of time driving. I have driven this car since I got my license way back in the last century. I know this car, at least I know it well enough. I'm comfortable with all the various fluid level checks, recommended tire pressures, changing a flat tire, braking response, steering feel, etc. All pretty basic things everyone should really know about their cars. More importantly, I know what's wrong, or likely to be wrong, with my car. Its tendency to run hot, the slow oil and transmission leaks and the slightly faster power steering leak, which rear light bulb doesn't turn on sometimes, which fuses go where, etc. Picking up the basics on any new car is easy enough. Getting used to the idiosyncrasies of a car takes time and I already have such a good rapport with mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, now you can see why I kept it so long. The W124's from M-B are great cars. The latest iteration of the E-Class (the second generation W211) is also a great car, but maybe not your image nor convenient for you to service. (The model between, W210, is known only as a 'good' car.)

On the other hand, take a hard look at the GTI -- when the time comes.