Wednesday, December 13, 2006

cold and cars

Damn you cold weather! I now have a small crack in my windshield, almost certainly related to the need to defrost it every morning. However, I'm not quite sure how old my windshield even is. If it is as old as the car, then it's certainly had a good run. As for the rest of the car, it's holding together. Cold starts are sometimes a bit fleeting with the car dying about one or two seconds after starting. However, that's only happened on the three coldest mornings so far, though it almost did a couple other times. And while I'm certainly not used to windshield wiper fluid partially freezing, everything else seems to be stable or only leaking very slowly. My electrical bugaboos are mostly conquered and I'm rolling with mostly new tires.

My biggest automotive concerns are my rear suspension and something to do with the fuel and/or exhaust system. The exhaust smells a bit more gasoline-ish than I remember. That and my mileage sucks, but the mileage has done worse the last two winters that I've been here so that might not be strictly related. The suspension thing is a bit bothersome. There's a non-standard noise coming from the left rear. I got a good chance to look around there though when I picked up a flat tire on the left rear two months ago and nothing looked abnormal. I suspect it's actually two different noises and I'll have all the gory details for the one person who is reading this who might actually have some ideas when I see him in a few days. Despite the ills, I think the car will pull through the winter in fine enough form. It's just that I'm not so certain about next winter. The car's had a good run. I'm simply reluctant to give up a car that I've driven for over eight years. That and I'm a cheap bastard.

Speaking of good runs, I made nothing short of excellent time today on an errand for work. Covering 325 miles in seven hours may not sound that impressive, but trust me, it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding that errand, you averaged 46+ mph, darn good when you are limited on the upside to 55 mph.

Regarding the noise, yes, I have a couple of ideas. We should be able to narrow them some when you describe the sound. Start practicing so you can repeat it in my presence.

Regarding the gas smell, you have an imbalance in the fuel/air mixture, undoubtedly made much worse by the cold weather. A fix in far-off Farmington may not be worth the cost, so toughing it out sounds good. On the other hand, the excess gasolene is not environmentally friendly and can actually lead to exhaust backfires, if not a real fire. Try not to keep excess cash in the car. Up in smoke and all.

See you in a few days.

P.S. Your blog entry needs a title, although the default title is not bad.

Brian said...

Actually, as a light vehicle (read: not a big truck), my upside is 70 mph.

Brian said...

And the title issue has been fixed.

Anonymous said...

Is that small crack getting larger and longer? Keep this car for a few more years, it will become a collectable item.