Wednesday, January 23, 2008

texas tags, finally

I may have loosely interpreted the thirty days grace period I had, but I finally registered my car in the state of Texas today. It only cost me $223.30 and stops at three different places. First, there was the vehicle inspection for $15.50 which can be done at almost any place that does car service work. Another $193.80 to cover the registration fee, title application fee and new resident tax down at the county tax office. And finally, $24.00 to stand in the strangest DMV that I've ever been in and request a Texas license. And I'm fairly certain that the guy who handled my paperwork was actually a highway patrol officer as indicated by his sidearm and badge. This isn't entirely bizarre since what I call the DMV here is actually part of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

More amusingly in a pathetic sort of way, two of the four people in front of me in line at the DMV were trying to get their licenses reinstated. Apparently, failure to report to court will do that to you.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to keep my New Mexico license as a keepsake. (When I received my NM license, I was allowed to keep my CA license, but they punched holes through the magnetic strip.) I was told it was going to get sent to Austin and then back to New Mexico. At least I was able to register to vote at the same time. And I have my old New Mexico license plate. I'm now up to four previous license plates. My two California plates from the 300E, the one from New Mexico for the 300E and the one from New Mexico for the Fusion. If I keep moving, I might just build up a nice little collection. Or I can just take some the next time I eat at Fuddruckers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you eat that artery clogging stuff!!!

Anonymous said...

You have that backwards -- you are supposed to put up some old plates of yours the next time you eat at Fuddruckers.

Anonymous said...

Many government agencies and their various state workers’ unions keep themselves busy by providing repetitive works. Thank god that you don’t have to spend a lot of time and money to talk to their mother of all psychotics before they think you are fit and sane to register your car.