Tuesday, January 15, 2008

turning to the dark side

I've been watching the keynote address from Macworld 2008 tonight. Of course it featured many new products and the somewhat, anticipated and possibly expected Macbook Air. While I doubt I'll be getting one of those, however great it might be, I am increasingly leaning towards getting a Macbook of some kind as my next laptop. Apple puts on a good show and I need to admit that my largely irrational dislike of Apple needs to be put to rest. Now, I still don't care for their MP4 ways with iTunes. And I suspect I'll never purchase much music from iTunes for that exact reason. Movies and television shows are a different matter and do have a certain allure under the enhanced iTunes store.

From a form and function standpoint, the standard Macbook (not even Pro) does everything I really need a laptop to do. However, as I've explained before, what I need a laptop to do isn't all that much. The basic Macbook also looks undeniably cool and still only weighs five pounds. It's just so damn expensive. But boy do they put on a good show.

2 comments:

Jack Chou said...

FYI, Amazon's new MP3 store has good selection and allows you to quickly grab non-DRM music and drop it into iTunes quickly. Cheap too.

Anonymous said...

Not the dark side, just different. I like the 5 pounds part. You should probably opt for the huge hard drive, so you can cart those movies around that will lead to your early arrest for copyright infringement. By the way, no Mac can readily handle the Windows financial software that is out there. Maybe you have no need.