Wednesday, March 12, 2008

all my movies are not four years old (or more)

Unlike my music, my movies are not all four years old or older. However, I do possess a strange and even more eclectic collection of movies that are four years old and older. Once again, hearkening back once again to my college days, I collected through potentially questionable methods a vast number of movies in digital form. I haven't even watched most of them. I simply collected them out of some weird obsession to have as many as possible. And then it stopped almost as quickly as it had begun. I moved out of the dorms, collected a few more, realized how absurd it all was and simply stopped. These days, I still have all the movies, but almost never look at any of them.

I do have many movies that are less than four years old. And some older than that. But these were all collected through non-questionable methods. When I first purchased DVDs, I bought movies I knew I liked and that I thought I would like watching over and over. By and large, that's been true for most of those early DVD purchases. These days, now that I rarely go to movie theaters, I find myself purchasing DVDs of movies that I have never seen before. I assume I'll like them based on reviews, genre, actors, general story and whatever else goes into tickling my fancy. And while they're almost impulse purchases of sorts, it's only because they're on sale. By and large, I have liked most of these purchases. They have also allowed me to stay in touch with popular movie culture in the last four years. (And long flights. I watch movies on those too.)

1 comment:

Scott Hayman said...

You were like the Warren Buffet of DIVX movies.