Thursday, November 27, 2008

holiday travel

I'm blogging from the Austin airport. I've never flown on or around Thanksgiving. It's not too bad, but there was definitely a good surge of people here earlier. I'm only still on the ground because my flight was delayed and amazingly enough, it didn't have to do with holiday crowds or the ridiculous fog that covers Texas from at least Victoria to Austin. Sick flight crew, a substitute lags by two hours in order for them to get sufficient rest as per FAA rules. Kind of like DOT rules, but probably much more strict and more easily enforced.

Anyway, the Austin airport parking lot needs some serious work, but at least the airport was easy to find, despite the fog. Once again, I did my somewhat strange, drive-during-the-middle-of-the-night-for-an-early-flight-at-an-airport-that-is-a-couple-hours-away-thing. If you're unfamiliar with what this consists of, let's say I have a 0700 flight so I'd like to target getting here by 0530. No, am I likely going to get up at 0200, leave by 0300 and make that 2.5 hour drive? No, so what I like to do is leave at 2200-2300 the night before and sleep in the airport parking lot for a couple hours. I'm usually more awake while driving and will almost certainly not oversleep in the awesomeness that is my Fusion. The fundamental basis for this strategy is that I am a night person (which is a good thing considering what I do at work) and not an early morning person. This trip was somewhat muddled by my desperate, but successful attempt to fully vacate my apartment over the last two days while still spending the daylight hours at work. Once again, I can claim to have successfully moved everything I own by myself. This time into a storage facility in Victoria. It's a long story, perhaps to be shared later.

Amusingly enough, I am using my work laptop (so I can check e-mails at the same time) and have yet to use my MacBook for much other than music and DVDs so far. But it is making the trip home with me so I'll play around with it a bit.

No comments: