Tuesday, November 04, 2008

macbook

I bought a Mac. Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid.

I've been very curious about the new Macbooks that were said to be coming out and intrigued by the various rumors about them, particularly the ones that suggested there would be lower price points. If you're not a gamer or programmer, what does anyone really need their home computer for? Internet and DVDs and some word processing, maybe some personal finance? (Yes Scott, you compose music, but you're not most people either.) But I was underwhelmed by the new Macbooks. Down right disappointed. Price points were not really lower. Instead, they had a revolutionary manufacturing process to dazzle us with and some sophisticated graphics chips. Admittedly it's pretty cool to make a frame out of a single slab of aluminum (or is it aluminium?) but how strong do I really need a laptop to be. My work laptop did just fine for three years in the field. My home machine is now four years old and guess what, it sits on my desk most of the time. So while increased torsional rigidity is theoretically cool, it's practically expensive.

Nonetheless, I've been looking for a change of pace and four years is a lot of life to wring out of a 25GB hard drive these days. Maybe this Mac can change my life, revolutionize the way I view the world, interact with it, and increase my chances of winning the lottery. Or perhaps it will be novel and unique and a new challenge to figure out.

While a Mac would be totally useless at work, it is certainly a brand that has a lot of home user features that I would enjoy. But as I indicated above, I was not wowed by the new Macbooks. Instead, I have opted for a previous generation machine at a pleasant discount. Ironically enough, I am not typing this on my black 13" Macbook. Let's all admit that the white ones look stupid and I didn't pay a premium for this one. And yet, I can see a new day dawning already. That means I really need to go to bed earlier. Damn you daylight savings.

At least I don't own an iPod. Yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

13"? The screen big enough to see? The keyboard big enough for your fingers? I think my desktop keyboard is twice as big. Must be for travel.

Scott Hayman said...

Meh. If everyone required supercomputers, we'd have a world full of recluses.

Also, your Mac will definitely change your life. You will start dressing more hip and trendy. You will grow your hair out, and start sporting some stylish yet intellectual facial hair. Something that tells the world that you're too cool to care about your appearance, but you look good anyway. You will start wearing glasses, even though you don't need them, and because you think you look more intellectual, you're going to find yourself starting to think outside the box. You're going to have these new, fresh things you'll call "ideas", and you will start sharing these "ideas" with your similarly-motivated peers, who, with the acquisition of this new Mac, have become the future movers and shakers of society.

This was not only a decision to purchase a Mac, but rather, a decision to reform humanity. May our children's children one day pay homage to your inevitable- but unique- greatness.



I am fucking awesome.
And deleriously tired.

Brian said...

I will never grow my hair out aside from being too preoccupied to get it cut more often. But I'll still look good anyway.