Monday, April 06, 2009

my washing machine has no instructions

My washing machine has no instructions. I'm sure it came with some. The first tenant in this apartment may have even recieved those instructions. But alas, I do no thave them. And even if I did, I'm not so sure they would be in English. However, thanks to the awesome power of the internet, I have found a copy of the instruction manual for the Zanussi ZWF 185W washing machine. In Russian.

All is not lost. Thanks again to the awesome power of the internet, I have managed to translate the critical parts of the manual, you know, about the warranty and so forth. Or what each of the little pictures on the control dial mean. And I didn't do too badly. I sort of guessed at 'cotton' (with a range of temperature choices) and 'delicates', though I didn't guess 'synthetics' proeprly. I'm not so sure the translation that gave me 'fur' is correct as the picture looks like a bundle of yarn so I think it might mean yarn or knit items. The 'gargling' seems to be a rinse-only cycle and the 'squeezing' looks like a spin-only cycle based on the little spiral picture. Though I'm less certain because 'discharge' follows next and who knows what happens if I try that setting. I suppose I could just try it, but that's a bit daring for my tastes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did the picture really show that bundle of yarn? That bundle of yarn labeled "Made in U.S.A."

Try all the settings and see what happens. If your clothes are ruined, it gives you an excuse to buy new ones.

Scott Hayman said...

You could just find someone who speaks Russian.

Lilian said...

Glad to see you're alive and well, Doc.