Wednesday, January 11, 2006

i have to go where?

When I was back in the Bay Area last week I mentioned to a few people that work was sending me to Denver for a meeting the first week of March. I was wrong. It isn't Denver. It's much better than Denver. I get to go where everyone only dreams that their employer would pay for them to go. And that would be Las Vegas. Judging by the events schedule, it looks like a lot of fun with a little bit of work sprinkled in. Seriously, it's mostly work during the day and then fun at night.

I increasingly believe that I could pass a state bar exam without going to law school. I'd have to study a whole bunch and learn a lot of the language of law to give answers that use all the right legalese, but it doesn't seem that hard. I wasn't planning on actually taking the bar exam anytime soon, but I decided to check it out. Since I'm in New Mexico, that's the exam I looked at. Apparently, they want some sort of proof that you went to law school before you take the exam. What a load of garbage. Then again, it doesn't say the law school must be accredited. (Closer inspection reveals that the school does have to be accredited.) And they also want "three character and fitness statements from attorneys in good standing" as if to imply lawyers are good assessors of character. And the filing fee, well, now I'm definitely not taking the test on a whim. But I could still pass it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My $.02: Some states allow you to take the bar exam without you having to attend or graduate from law school. Many believe it is the conspiracy of states and law schools that they want you to fork over the big $$$ and make you waste your time there. Why? Because they just want to insult your intelltigence by assuming that you cannot pass unless you graduate from law school. But if you pass the exam without attending or graduating from the so call accredited law school, it would discredit the belief that ingrains by those high and almighty law professions that the bar they set isn't all that high after all. After certain number of years and a hefty tuition and fees, they award you a diploma. That diploma does not guarantee you will pass the bar exam! The more times you take the exam, the more revenue they will generate. Check the statistics and see what’s the percentage of passing for the first time exam takers. Some of them never pass the bar and become politicians. Many become crooked politicians. One always reads about so and so went to such and such law school, but they never disclose how many times they took the exam and many never pass.

Anonymous said...

Your blog practically drips with confidence. Without confidence, you can do nothing. On the other hand, you could actually learn something in law school. Why not double major?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, go for it. A PhD., a JD & a MBA!