Sunday, January 01, 2006

a plan

I hope to make tomorrow the first in a series of regular posts on things I have learned and observed from my experiences at work. It'll be Mondays with Schlumberger a la Tuesdays with Morrie, except not. The reason it won't is because I've never read Tuesdays with Morrie, nor do I plan to, so I have no idea what it's about. Actually, the reason it won't is because I don't plan to actually write about Schlumberger-specific issues. Instead, I want to write more generally about work and the oilfield as I have seen them. That might include writing about Schlumberger, but only insofar as the company relates to larger issues that affect the industry or other service companies. Plus, I plan to restrict my factual comments to what is public knowledge or what I feel is easily inferable or common sense. My interpretation of those things may be aided by my uncanny genius and above-average looks though.

There are very obvious reasons for why I have generally not discussed Schlumberger-specific matters in previous posts and those same reasons hold for future posts as well. I think it's enough to say that I have enjoyed my time so far and I believe I will continue to do so in the future. I've said more than that before, but you'll have to hunt around for those things.

I am aware of the risks involved with writing about work. How can I forget when my mom keeps sending my e-mails about it. However, I know what I'm doing. Remember, I'm the infallible golden boy from California who triumphantly moved to a slightly less glamorous state and introduced the locals to exciting things like Sonicare and PSP.

And don't worry about the timeliness of that next post. It's already written, more or less.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so somehow you made up your mind not to read 'Tuesdays With Morrie'. Instead, try this excerpt -- http://www.randomhouse.com/features/morrie/excerpt.html.
Maybe you will change your mind.

Brian said...

Well, it looks like I'll be reading Tuesdays with Morrie after all. There goes my attempt to be witty and glib.

Anonymous said...

You can always rent the DVD if it is available. It was on TV a while back starred Jack Lemon and Hank Gazarian (sp).

Unknown said...

Personally.....I think Albom would be better off if he just stuck with sports.

As for your work musings It seems you are a little leery about giving away any trade secrets from Big Blue. Understandable in a big company environment.
But what I think makes your blog interesting is just reading your day to day assessment (from someone from California with little previous exposure to the industry) of the oil patch from your point of view.....the colorful people you meet, the day to day work you are involved in the things the industry does to take care of the environment, etc.