Sunday, February 26, 2006

parking lot jerks

Do you like to cut across the empty sections of parking lots to save a little time as you enter and leave the parking lot because you have some sick aversion to right angle turns? If you do then I hate you. Look, you're not saving much time by doing that. Just go in the nice straight lines like you should before you cause an accident. Today, I almost hit someone who was doing that. Admittedly, I made sure I almost hit the person by not slowing down or swerving to avoid them. Now, that may sound bad, but I had the right of way and I knew I wouldn't actually hit the person. I was just trying to teach the person a lesson. That and it was a legitimate time to use my horn and more or less legitimate time to give someone the finger.

Here's what happened. I made a left turn at a stoplight into a parking lot of a shopping center. About 100 feet into the lot there is an intersection with stop signs for cross traffic, but not for cars moving in a straight line to or from the light. Since I didn't have a stop sign, I obviously didn't stop, but I was watching the person on the right who seemed to have a little trouble comprehending the right of way concept. At the same time, a car was cutting across the parking lot spaces and had clearly not accounted for my presence. I saw this person and knew that if I didn't slow down and assuming their continued their path, that I would miss them. Thus, I didn't slow down, but got about as close as I care to get to anyone.

7 comments:

Jack Chou said...

brian love, champion of moral justice. i'm glad you taught those people their lesson. who knows what hooliganism they would've engaged in if you hadn't?

Anonymous said...

How dare you to call us jerks. You're a jerk, yourself. Your car doesn't belong here. Just go back where you come from.

Anonymous said...

Don't try to teach an old dog a new trick. You are wasting your time. Just stay away from these people. Not worth it. Avoid any non-productive confrontation. You could get yourself hurt if these people are a bunch of nuts and pull a gun on you!

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the party and have found that it all has been pretty much said.

One of the problems with parking lot accidents is that the local police will only write up an accident report if someone is physically (not fiscally) hurt or if it an especially slow day. Therefore, you will likely pay 50/50 because it will quickly be a war of obviously conflicting stories with no way to prove who is right.

I prefer to duck the culprits (which may involve speeding up) and a tap to the horn.

May your luck never run out.

Anonymous said...

The buickguy wishes your luck never run out. Be careful. You start with a bagful of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.

Reva said...

Happy Birthday Brian! =)

Anonymous said...

Cheer!