Sunday, May 21, 2006

fine china

I bought a new digital camera. It's not so much of an upgrade as much as a change of pace. And I'm shipping my old camera to my brother. I've moved from a Canon S410 to a Canon A700. It's less compact, but it's still small enough to be easily carried around. There are a bunch of other differences but that's what the link is for: so I don't have to explain them because I'm lazy.

Anyway, there's one thing about the camera that bothers me and that is the wrist strap. See here, that's the old one on the top and new one on the bottom. Do you see what's missing? The little slider that allows you the cinch the strap to your wrist so that the camera won't slide off! This is a big deal because it's one of those small but very useful features. I thought the strap might have had the slider break off or that I got a bad strap. Nope, it appears that this is part of the normal package. The other very subtle difference is how pliable the small end that loops around the hole in the camera is. The old one was soft and bended easily so the knot could be cinched up to the camera. This new one is much stiffer (even accounting for being new) and doesn't cinch up as well. And this is also different. Coincidence? I think not. Pinching pennies everywhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One was made in Taiwan and the other was made in China, "fine china" alright! In the old days the good cameras were made in Germany such as Rolleiflex, Leica and Agfa, etc. You don't see them on the market any more. May be you still can buy them thru Ebay.

I suppose you can fashion a slider into the strap manually. You may be able to buy one at the fabric store where they sell sewing supplies. Or you can cut one out from some of your old wind breakers or jackets. The little thingy with a small spring inside that used around the hood or waist.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure your brother uses a wrist strap. You may wish to email him with that question. Perhaps a swap of wrist straps is in order. After all, the price is right with either strap from his perspective.