Thursday, May 04, 2006

unintentionally funny line (to me)

Unintentionally funny line from work: "Is that really necessary?"

I uttered that a couple weeks ago out on location to a company man. We weren't going to finish the first day so we were discussing when and where to meet the next day. We had met at their field office the first day, but now we knew where the location was so we could go straight there. Apparently not. When the company man told us that we had to go back to the field office to sit through their rather pointless morning meeting again I uttered my line and one of the guys on the crew just busted out laughing.

I'm not sure why he laughed. Perhaps it was the incredulous way in which I said what I said. Or the sheer audacity that I would basically imply through the way I asked my question that I thought it was a poor idea (since it would require them to pay for more overtime). Either way, we still had to go back to the field office early to sit in their morning meeting. I probably should have come up with a more persuasive argument for not going to the meeting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See the other comment: R & S people do R & S things. Meetings are done for meeting sake, because the answer is "we always do it that way". Morning meetings are routine even there is nothing to discuss except to shoot the breeze and get paid; pointless all right, but not to a lot of people who consider how important they are. Think Senate and Congress while they are in sessions!

In these days and ages, one needs not to have face to face meeting in order to get things done and it's even more efficient that way to save time and other costs. You already know that, don't you?