Wednesday, February 07, 2007

certify this!

I'm a member of ASME, though I don't explicitly take advantage of that fact. I suppose I'm still a card carrying member (oh yes, they give you a card) because I joined as a student and then some department at some school gave me some degree that now sits in my closet.

(Where else should I put my degree? Hanging it on a wall so I can admire my awesomeness would just be narcissistic. Besides, I have mirrors for that. The real point of this parenthetical aside is to explain something I want to do. If I ever reach a point where I am in a position where it is common for people in similar positions to hang degrees and certificates and accolades on their walls, I am going to do something different. Instead, I would hang things that looked like degrees and certificates on my wall, but they would be less than noteworthy or altogether made up. Things like participation certificates from math competitions (I really have those) or the one I was given for getting a perfect score on my states and capitals test in the fifth grade (if I still have it). My future 40-something self might not find this so amusing, but I'm sure we'll work out our differences over the next 20 years.)

Getting back to the very small point I originally wanted to bring up, I am a member of ASME so I was curious to see a sticker on the new urinal in the restroom at work that said that it complied with ASME standard A112.19.2. (Admit it, you didn't see that coming.) So what, pray tell, is ASME standard A112.19.2? It's apparently about "Vitreous China Plumbing Fixtures and Hydraulic Requirements for Water Closets and Urinals". And the circle of life is now complete.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the HTML view source and still cannot figure out why you have "Labels: work" at the bottom of the post that takes you to the top. Is this a special code signal to mysterious friends or a mistakie-pooh?

Brian said...

Labels are new to this blog. They serve as markers to identify the subject matter in the post. In the future, clicking a 'work' label will show all posts that have been given that label.