Wednesday, February 21, 2007

my car has died

It finally happened. My car died. At least the spark plugs are in good shape.

After speaking at some length with some helpful people at Smythe European, which is the original dealership this car is from, it was concluded that the necessary repairs would be cost prohibitive. The time and parts needed to diagnose and repair whatever is wrong with the air intake and fuel injection system would run from a couple to several thousand dollars. (Apparently car warranties don't last 21 years.) And then there was the barely operational HVAC system, stuck window (it's closed), funky sunroof, cracked windshield, myriad fluid leaks, and a few known electrical bugbears along with future ones that I know were just lurking around the corner.

Aside from some tools, spare change, and a hood ornament, there's not much left to salvage from the car. That's right; the ornament is a keeper and possibly so is the license plate. I have no illusions about selling the car. It is destined for a scrap heap somewhere so I think keeping the license plate wouldn't be out of order. It sort of sucks that all four tires aren't even that old, but that's how these things go. At least it has less than a quarter tank of fuel. For a 21 year old car with just under 290,000 miles on it, I really couldn't ask for anything else.

After some quick browsing at car lots with my dad this afternoon, I see myself in the market for a mid-size sedan. I know, so boring sounding, but let's review. I'm probably leaning towards a new car, despite the pain that a miserly jerk like myself will experience knowing that in three years, over half the value of the car will have disappeared. A used car could be a much better value and there's a greater sense of freedom in what type of vehicle to get because it would be less committal. I could get something less practical and just get rid of it in a couple years and not have spent much money. But I'm not a man with committal issues and a new car would come with a known (meaning pristine) vehicle history, full warranty (never had that, but when the previous owner for the prior 12 years is your dad it's just as good), and that new car smell. This is a car that I would likely own for at least five, but probably several more, years (barring any move out of the country to somewhere other than Canada and why would I ever go there). Given my age, I would say this car should last until the time I have small children or some similar ragamuffins that are an integral part of my life.

A non-sedan would probably be more utility and/or pretension than I really care for. Until a few hours ago, I drove a mid-size sedan for nearly nine years and it's always been plenty good. An SUV, even a small one like a Ford Escape is just more space and size than I need. Perhaps when I have to constantly load and unload some child seat, I'll consider something that won't require me to bend over so much. Again, a 'crossover' vehicle would come with more space than I really want and it would still have me sitting higher than in a regular sedan. Pick-ups are way more utility than I need and I drive one for work and I can tell that I'm just not a truck kind of guy. Sports cars aren't enough utility. A mid-size sedan would be just about right. I don't need the size of a full-fledged large sedan and I know a small sedan wouldn't cut it. I rented a Ford Focus when I was in Denver last October for work and I had the seat all the way back and still wanted it to go back one more notch.

Of the mid-size sedans, I'm leaning towards a Ford Fusion. I like the styling, it has all the features I really want (though every well-equipped car does), and I get a pricing break through my employer. Since I work for a Ford fleet customer (we have a lot of F350s), they've worked out a deal for employees. The price usually comes out to just under dealer invoice and any additional rebates that are currently being offered still apply on top of that. This ends up leading to a good price and a haggle-free experience. The dealer just gets a transaction fee from Ford so they're not going to fight over every dollar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no Hummer or the Navigator or the Escalade!

Save those MB hubcaps. Take out all those tires and install the junk yard tires. You can always sell the not-so-old tires on eBay. Siphone the gas and save it for your next car. Take out the back bench use it as a couch or as bed for your visitor. Take out the front seats and use as chairs. I am sure you can salvage a lot of stuff from your car. Use your immagination.

Anonymous said...

At some point in car's lifetime, you get the sense that it'll die at any moment .. either tomorrow or in two years. But the last breath often happens (somewhat) unexpectedly.

Seems like everyone with a less-than-ultimately reliable car should have an idea of what they want to replace it with so when the time comes, replacement is not a huge stress on the mind. Once your car dies, it's a pain to do anything (especially in Farmington, i'd guess) without a replacement. How are you getting around in the mean time?

My Corolla is still going strong (well, as strong as 1.8L 4-cyls go). It's still below half of your 280k miles, though.

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I guess it was time, though. Brings me back. And.. *sniff*.. I guess there can be no death so long as there is memory...

May the Rickshaw rest in peace.

-Scott