Sunday, March 04, 2007

but do you know why you're asking?

At work, I often find that I give cagey and non-responsive answers to questions about myself. It usually isn't because I don't like the questions, but more that I don't think the question is sincere. I tend to feel that the question is simply meant to ascertain some nugget about my personal life so the new factoid about me can be gossiped about. If that's the case, then I'm not going to give fodder to anyone. I would much rather someone actually be sincerely interested in the answer to their question, even if it was for some ulterior purpose, because then at least they'd be doing something substantial with the information. Either ask because you're interested in me as a person or you're interested in making better decisions about your own work or life. Either start meaningful dialogues or none at all.

I'll gladly answer what we all know to be trivial questions from people who I already know care about me. I appreciate those conversations because hearing those peoples' voices is what I care about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. What did you have for breakfast?

What do mean that this blog doesn't count as my voice?

Anonymous said...

Just being nosy. You can always tell them "what the hell do you care" or go do something unnatural to themselves. Or tell them you moonlight as a double agent. On the positive side, people do care about other people. Starts with an idle chitchat and slowly warms up to a more friendly and meaningful conversation. You know guys don't talk much. Google the title “Art of Conversation”, you’ll find many books written for all occasions.

Anonymous said...

When I see you next time, I won't ask you anything.