Sunday, March 18, 2007

music and money

I'm a big fan of songs where the singer is slightly down, but the lyrics are ultimately optimistic. Songs like Time Like These (especially the acoustic version) by Foo Fighters, Save Yourself by Sense Field, and Breathing by Lifehouse. (The subject matter of that last one is up for debate, but I can imagine that the "you" in the song is whoever I want it to be.)

This has me a bit conflicted about where I want to go from here. Musical tastes are often a reflection of someone's personality. I consider myself to be an optimist in the 'we can make the world a better place' mold. However, I like some music with a darker edge like Eminem or System of a Down. There certainly is a darker side to my personality. It's one I've explored a great deal in a theoretical sense, but very rarely in a practical sense. In other words, I've given a great deal of thought about how this part of me would manifest itself in certain situations, but had few occasions to see it in action.

But I'm not interested in an exposition about my personality and I doubt you are especially given the viewing-weighted average reader. I'm much more troubled by what I see in the Weekend Linkfest. My book reading has largely been replaced by this sort of hodgepodge self-education on business and economic matters. The sense I get is not a good one. Personally, I'm currently conservatively positioned with respect to the vagaries of market exposure. Housing, on average (Bay Area is not average), still has some way to fall. The long-term debt situation is not one that seems like it can end well. But I'm still an optimist! Just not unnecessarily so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the uninformed, some links would be helpful. Cannot find the acoustic version on the net, but the vocal version of Times Like These is here: http://www.myspace.com/davegrohl9
By the way, I see the band's name as both the Foo Fighters and the Foo Fighers. Foos may be best of all.

Anonymous said...

P.S. What does "viewing-weighted average reader" mean? Really.

Brian said...

Typo in Foo Fighters has been corrected.

It means that a handful of people account for the vast majority of visits to this blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh. If you're going to start correcting typos, then Sensefield is two words, "Sense Field." I think you should, of course. People's names is a good place to begin.

Anonymous said...

Sense Field thanks you.