Thursday, February 24, 2011

paycheck to paycheck

I recently found out one of my field supervisors essentially lives paycheck to paycheck. In light of how much I know he makes, I find this interesting.

Edit Feb 26: Comments sent directly to me have been noted, but there is no way to properly identify who this person is as many people fit the description I have provided. Also, more likely than not, his situation is not unique, but he was the first to come to me and express it as a problem (the origins of which lie in receiving a paycheck early and thus running out of funds before the next one arrived).

This is not the first time I have met someone at work in this situation. What I find so odd is that anyone who makes that much should be compelled to live that way. Good in the field and at his job? Yes. Good with money? Meh.

Last night, I was discussing this phenomenon with a colleague. He was telling me he knows people who make more than us who live paycheck to paycheck and manage to burn through several thousand dollars every month, even in a profession and lifestyle where many major expenses are taken care of. Work hard, play hard. That is a common saying amongst employees, especially those in the field to reflect the nature of the work/play balance. Perhaps it should be updated to work hard, play harder, spend hardest.

3 comments:

buickguy said...

Lots of people at all income levels live paycheck-to-paycheck. Not something I recommend, but very common.

Anonymous said...

Lots of people max out their credit cards and then a lot more. Our government sets a very good example of how to spend money that they don't have. How big is our deficit?

Anonymous said...

wine, women and song will always do you in.