Thursday, November 17, 2005

Greece: rest and rain

It was absolutely pouring today. I woke up to a huge clap of thunder. I didn't quite realize what it was at first, because I was still half asleep. It sounded like someone had dropped something somewhere within earshot. Eventually, my brain woke up and it was pretty clear that it was thunder. The rain kept us in for a good chunk of the day. It was going to be a rest day anyway so that was fine.

When the rain finally let up, we left for the Poseidon monument. On a clear day it's supposed to have incredible sunsets. However with rain clouds still lingering, it wasn't even worth 4 euros to go up to see it, especially when the ruins were going to look suspiciously like the ruins everywhere else.

After dinner, we young folks tried to go into the heart of Athens. In the end, we ended up still in downtown Glyfada after most of the stores had closed. It was a combination of a public holiday and the inability to read and comprehend the local language well enough to properly utilize public transportation. We also ended up doing a lot of walking in the end. I'll pretend that made it all worthwhile. I'll also pretend that it was a shame that my brother couldn't find an atrocious, orange fanny pack.

Tomorrow: London.

No comments: