Friday, November 04, 2005

why talk about the weather?

Because I can. I will talk about the weather. It's very warm, considering that this is November. Some quick investigating reveals that it's been about 10 degrees Fahrenheit above average. It's balmy at 7 in the morning when we get on the bus and its still balmy at 9 at night after dinner. I think I can successfully correlate the warm weather with my presence here.

Two days ago marked one year working for Schlumberger. And there was much rejoicing. Yesterday, Chakib Sbiti, the Executive VP of Oilfield Services came to the training center for a roundtable. Well, that's what it was called. He's pretty high up on the depth chart, arguably third or fourth highest up, and you can even see what he's paid here since he is one of the top executives. He gave a short presentation and stressed some safety awareness, but most of the time was dedicated to him answering questions from those in attendance. Everyone who was there for a technical course was there. I asked a question, but it didn't get answered and there was really no time to clarify it since it was actually the last question. When I say that it did not get answered, I'm fairly certain it was misunderstood and not evaded. It wasn't a charged question like some of those that were asked that would be evaded. It was a broader business question as opposed to something about touchier personnel issues. And now I'm stewing about how I could've more succinctly and more clearly expressed my question. It was clear in my mind and afterwards most of my classmates knew what I was asking about. Basically, I could have used more words to ask it, but I didn't think he needed me to explain the background of a business issue to him because I felt that would've been mildly insulting. See, I really am stewing over this, but that's only because I'm reliving it.

To change topics, and to indirectly reveal how I write some of these entries out of order, fans of The Family Guy who actually read this (Scott?) might be amused to know that I finally saw the second fight between Peter and the giant chicken. Now we can thoroughly analyze it.

I haven't been taking many pictures. There's nothing to take pictures of. Part of that is because I haven't had much time to go out and enjoy the fine city of Tulsa. The other part is that this just strikes me as some bland American city with few things that are worth taking pictures of. Seriously, do you want to see what the façade of the local Wal-Mart looks like? I hope not, because I'm not sure I want to know you if you do. And I'm still bothered by how flat it is.

No comments: