Sunday, November 20, 2005

London: more frolicking

Another cold morning filled with reluctance to get out of bed. But we had omelets so that made it worthwhile. Oh, and there was the rest of the fun day.

We opted to go into the downtown-ish and rather tourist filled area of London. Well, or at least one of the many of those places. I can't even remember where we saw the ad, but we opted to go look at some chocolate shop on Bond St. I'm used to everything being open on any day of the week. (Except banks, they keep terrible hours.) But this is Sunday and this isn't the States, especially someplace in the States that doesn't have silly blue laws on the books. Thus, the chocolate shop in question, and many others on Bond St, was closed. We cut across to Oxford St and followed Oxford until we hit Hyde Park. We went for a leisurely (read: long) stroll through the park. It's very long in the East-West direction and we didn't cut the shortest path possible. But it was a walk for walking's sake. And those are best enjoyed with a companion.

Total side note. On the side of a lot of city buses, there are Greek tourism ads with the slogan: Live your myth. I only mention it because I was just there. And because it's so expectedly dorky.

The walk had an objective though. We were angling our way over to a particular theater to catch a particular movie. The park yielded some good photos. As always, you'll have to wait for those. And by good, I mean pictures of pigeons. It also yielded a very funny circumstance of a dog walking right up to a bench and peeing right where some man was sitting. He was fast enough, just barely, to get out of the way on time. That dog clearly had claims to that bench. Also, my attempts to buy a Fanta from a vendor in the park were thwarted when I was told the soda machine wasn't working. That almost killed my day, but I was eventually able to satisfy my bloodlust for a Fanta at dinner.

We watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (I really like linking to movies, mostly because it's so easy.) It was very good. It was the first of the series that I had actually seen straight through. There was some jumpiness to it, but that seems necessary when you only have 2.5 hours to tell a several hundred page story. The theater also had lots of leg room which was nice. It also started the actual movie at 4:59 when the show time was listed a 4:30. It would about 15 minutes of commercials before it even started on what I think was six or seven movie trailers. The commercials struck me as very odd. There were three different car commercials, and while I realize parents go with their children to a movie like this, the audience was still mostly children. Shouldn't those have been over at The Constant Gardener instead? There were also two public service ads. One was an incredibly dark ad about how unlicensed cabs endanger you to being raped. I'm really not sure if I would want a child of my own to see an ad like that.

I sated my Fanta need at dinner when we opted for some traditional fish and chips. I should say it was fish and a chips extravaganza. They certainly weren't skimping. I could've finished, but it would've been one of those instances where I sacrificed how I felt for the rest of the night for the pride of having eaten a whole lot of food of questionable value to my heart.

No comments: