Thursday, November 02, 2006

political ads

Based on the total lack of advertisements, it appears that my congressional district is not heavily contested. Congratulations Tom Udall for whatever it is you do and for your expected victory over Ronald Dolin, whose name was alarmingly hard for me to find. However, it appears that I'm missing out on a great race for New Mexico's First Congressional District. And by great, I mean petty, misleading, disinformation-filled and everything else that makes politics so inspiring for us young, cynical types. In case you were wondering what part of the state the various districts cover, there's this handy website called National Atlas that has congressional district maps amongst other things.

Back to the race, it pits the Republican incumbent Heather Wilson against the Democrat Patricia Madrid who is New Mexico's Attorney General. Based on the ads, it appears that Madrid is incompetent and that Wilson is a Bush toady. But since I can't vote for either one of them, I don't have to worry that the ads tell me nothing useful. However, I can pretend to see what this race would be like if it was a high school student council race. It might go something like this:

Candidate 1: Bitch!
Candidate 2: Skank!

Then some hair pulling would follow and eventually someone would be slapped. Seriously, the ads are vitriolic and are about the closest thing to disfranchising a voter you can get without actually breaking the law. It kind of makes me miss living in an uncontested district back in California. Though it was fun to vote on all the propositions.

No comments: