Monday, December 12, 2005

convertible coupes

I saw a 6-series BMW convertible the other day. I couldn't help but think one thing: Chrysler Sebring convertible.

It's hardly a fair comparison, but that's what came to mind. Admittedly, closer inspection and review of 6-series and Sebring photos reveals that the two cars don't bear much resemblance to one another. But the fatal flaw, two flaws really, is that they are both part of two categories of cars I don't care much for. The first is soft-top convertibles. Really now, what a terrible look for an automobile. Oh sure, they look great with the top down, but they tend to look incredibly cheap and flimsy with the top up. The other is the two-door coupe, which is not a redundant statement thanks to the Mercedes CLS class. Cars with only two doors when a 4-door model is available (or possible) look as ill-proportioned and sickly as a soft-top convertible with its top up. The doors on a two-door coupe always look too big, but there's still too much unbroken space from the B-pillar back. It gives the appearance of lazy/boring styling when viewed from the side. Plus, the enormous doors look like they're better for giving other people door dings than anything else.

I just thought everyone should know how I feel about this in case anyone was going to surprise me with a new car. No? No one is? I see how it is.

It's happened again. I have over 100 e-mails I my inbox both at home and at work. It's time to start paring them down and actually replying to people instead of focusing only on myself instead hoping something magical will happen to them.

No comments: