Sunday, December 11, 2005

dvi-d/d-sub to composite/s-video adapter?

I am looking for something that may not exist. Well, it may not exist in the form that I want it in. I am looking for a cable adapter to go from a DVD player to a monitor I have. The monitor takes inputs of DVI-D or D-SUB (the 15 pin VGA connection on most computer monitors) and the player can give a composite or S-video output. I have found receiver-type devices that will do what I want, but they are separate devices and all cost over $100. I am looking for just a cable adapter. I suspect it can't be done since the signal probably would have to go through a receiver to come out ok on the other end. However, I can at least pretend that it's possible. If you know of anything, leave me a comment. Thanks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know they make monitors that have S-Video inputs. I think. Maybe I'm thinking backwards and it's the video cards that have S-Video outputs to go to TVs. That's probably it.

You'd think they could make these things though.

Anonymous said...

I will check with Fry's, for if they do not stock it, pretty much no one will. However, before I do so, I need to know what your S-video output jack looks like. Please describe or send photo.

Anonymous said...

I have done some research on the web. It does not look good. However, I will check with Fry's to see if I am missing something. I believe you will have to put some form of amplifier/receiver in the middle to translate those signals from the s-video to the color and brightness components that make up the 15-pin connector of a computer monitor.

I think you would find it better to let your computer do the translation work. In other words, get a video-in PCI card for your computer and get the signal from your DVD player in that way. I will check Fry's for that card, too.

Brian said...

Thanks for the responses. I have been contacted directly about this by someone who knows his stuff and it is as I suspected. It's not possible without a receiver box since the cables handle signals in different ways. I suppose I could just buy a tv, but that defeats the whole purpose of having my stuff set up in oddly elaborate ways.