Monday, December 29, 2008

fireworks, buy 1, get 11 free

Yes, you read that correctly, buy 1, get 11 free. That's apparently the standard deal you can get in Texas (and New Mexico when I lived there) when purchasing fireworks. It's emblazoned on most of the kiosks that sell them. See, unlike California (and presumably New York and most other blue states), fireworks can be purchased here in red country and, um, exploded at your leisure. About two weeks before both the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, these kiosks (sometimes tents) spring up alongside the highways and whatnot (who remembers who said that in high school?) and you can presumably purchase fireworks at them. I've never stopped and asked, but it is certainly tempting to see what kind of business can be sustained when you get 11 free fireworks with the purchase of 1. We do some unusual discounts in the business I'm in, but not like this. Coupons not needed either. I suspect it's 11 snap bangs for 1 really awesome firework.

As always, this reminds me of a clip from The Simpsons, which is already online and can be found here on YouTube and here on Hulu (possibly the greatest site ever for watching television online). Watch the whole clip, but I've always been partial to the line at the 0:53 mark on YouTube (or the 0:47 mark on Hulu). And contrary to what I thought, this line is not uttered by Apu, but instead by some no-name character.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, I confess. I read your blogs way too carefully. Way, way too carefully. I say that at the designated spots on either You Tube or Hulu there is no third person saying anything. In fact, there are only two characters in this segment who say anything. I don't get your blog entry. Youth, sometimes I just don't understand 'em.